Radio Academy Training Day
Cardiff, 29 March 2023
We held our Radio Academy Training Day on Wednesday 29 March, at The School of Journalism, Media and Culture (JOMEC) at Cardiff University.
The Training Day was open to everyone interested in learning about radio and audio, whether they're involved in student radio, community radio, hospital radio, podcasting, freelance or employed.
Speakers included new BBC Radio 2 Early Breakfast Presenter, Owain Wyn Evans - who presents his show from Cardiff every weekday morning - in conversation with fellow Radio 2, Radio Wales and BBC Sport presenter Jason Mohammad.
They were joined by, amongst others, presenters Huw Stephens, Mollie Finn, Akylah Rodriguez and Josh & Kally, with producers Lynda Shahwan, Dafydd Meredydd, and Tia Cham, and industry leaders Steve Austins, Neil Sloan and Stuart Morgan.
Sessions covered all elements of the sector, to inspire, inform and motivate people to get on in our wonderful industry. The programme ended with a Demo Clinic, for aspiring presenters to get feedback on their showreels.
And at the end of the day, everyone gathered in a local bar for networking drinks to meet and get to know colleagues in the Wales Branch of The Radio Academy.
Speakers (alphabetical order)
- Akylah Rodriguez, Presenter
- Alex Mansuroglu, Presenter, KISS UK
- Carolyn Hitt, Editor BBC Radio Wales and BBC Sport Wales
- Dafydd Meredydd, Senior Producer, BBC Radio Cymru
- Dan Noble, Presenter, Absolute Radio
- Dan Potts, Podcast Producer BBC Sounds / Radio Wales
- Danielle Fahiya, Presenter, Actor and Writer
- David Cameron Walker, Managing Editor, UK Audio, The Athletic
- Huw Stephens, Presenter, BBC Radio Wales, Cymru and 6Music
- Josh Andrews, Presenter, Capital South Wales (communicorpUK)
- Kally Davies, Presenter, Capital South Wales (communicorpUK)
- Lynda Shahwan, Producer, BBC Radio Wales
- Mollie Finn, Producer & Presenter
- Neil Sloan, Managing Editor, BBC Radio Wales
- Staffan Garrero, Host, Socially Distant Sports Bar Podcast
- Steve Austins, MD, Bengo Media
- Stuart Morgan, Managing Director, Audio Always
- Tia Cham, Social Media Producer, Audio Always, Birmingham
- Vicki Blight, Presenter, BBC Radio Wales & Producer, Bengo Media
About Our Training Days
The Radio Academy Training Days are an opportunity hear from the best in the business, on programming, music, news, speech, imaging, technology, presenting, podcasting and more. They're also a great way to meet other brilliant people in the industry, with plenty of opportunities for building your network.
Each Training Day includes a programme of talks from industry experts from across radio and audio, following by an evening of networking drinks to meet new people and make new contacts.
Feedback from our Exeter Training Day
"Great to have industry leaders, and a variety of people in the audience to meet and exchange tips."
"A great day and everyone in our party enjoyed it. Big Thanks."
"A great day all round. Great speakers and presentations throughout. Will definitely attend more."
"Look forward to the next one ...... thanks for a great day!"