The BBC Radio department (Director: Helen Boaden) runs five national networks which are broadcast throughout the UK. All are available on DAB radio sets, via digital television including Freeview, and online.
- Radio 1 (97-99 FM) - Contemporary music, entertainment and news
- Radio 2 (88-91 FM) - Popular music and speech for over 35s
- Radio 3 (90- 92 FM) - Classical music and arts
- Radio 4 (92-96 FM, AM [197 long wave]) - News, current affairs, drama, comedy and factual programmes
- Radio 5 live (AM [909 and 693 medium wave]) - Live news and sport
Digital Only Services
BBC Radio is also responsible for 5 national networks broadcast exclusively on digital platforms (mostly DAB and DTV) and online.
- 1Xtra - Contemporary black and urban music
- Radio 4 Extra - Classic comedy and drama
- Radio 5 live sports extra - Live sports coverage
- Radio 6 Music - Pop and rock music inc archive sessions
- Asian Network - music and speech for UK Asian communities
You can read more about these 10 networks here.
Nations & Regions
BBC English Regions operates 40 local radio stations, broadcasting a mix of news and conversation, from Newcastle to Jersey and Norfolk to Cornwall. There's a full list here.
Details of the BBC's local and regional services are available here.