University Centre Hastings (University of Brighton), Havelock Road, Hastings, TN34 1BE
Wednesday 16th March 2011 | 10am – 7pm
Want to work in radio?
A free day of workshops and screenings at University Centre Hastings, ending with a screening of the documentary film about pirate radio, Stay Sailing and meet the director, Michael ‘Furious’ Chandler.
Students at University Centre Hastings have access to state of the art facilities and are taught by industry professionals throughout. Our Radio Academy Masterclass is your chance to join them and others who love radio, for a day of workshops and screenings with radio professionals, designed to get your career off the ground.
The day is open to anyone, but some workshops have limited places, so to book call 0845 602 0607 or email. You will receive full details of the day’s events, so you can book on the workshops of your choice.
What’s happening on the day?
- Jingles, stings and promos – an interactive workshop on radio station imaging with independent producer, Bernie Simmons.
- Is anyone listening to me? New media and the future of radio with James Cridland (Radio Academy Trustee, Managing Director, Media UK).
- Radio presenting masterclass and Radio interviewing skills workshop with BBC producers and presenters from BBC Radio 4 and the World Service.
- Presenter try-outs in the radio studio, with Andy Bantock of community station, RXFM.
- Networking skills workshops – an essential skill for a career in the media, with Jo Bevan, careers expert, University of Brighton.
- Learn to drive the desk in 10 minutes in our professional radio studio!
- The Radio Fair – drop in all afternoon to meet the people who train and employ young people in broadcasting. They can advise on your CV, listen to your demo tapes or just answer your questions about the industry. There’ll be presenters, producers and editors from the BBC, local radio stations, The Radio Academy, the University of Brighton and more.
- Radio screening: War of the Worlds. Maybe the most famous radio programme ever. Hear the broadcast and find out why it caused mass panic in 1938.
- 5pm Film screening: Stay Sailing. Pirates have sailed the airwaves for almost 50 years but, in our digital world, can the pirates stay sailing? Screening of documentary film about pirate radio, made by fomer pirate Michael ‘Furious’ Chandler, plus Q&A with the director afterwards, with refreshments.
- Student showcase. Hear short features produced by students of UCH.
- World of Radio: Drop in and listen to award-winning radio from around the world and on your doorstep in the lecture theatre.
- Burst Radio, the University of Brighton’s radio station will be broadcasting on the day live from their studios at UCH.
Meet the industry
Those attending on the day include: BBC Sussex; RXFM Community Radio Station; The Radio Academy; Lady Paulette, DJ Unique Radio; Michael ‘Furious’ Chandler, film maker and former pirate; Yvonne Archer, BBC World Service; Abigail Wincott, BBC World Service and University of Brighton; Bernie Simmons, radio imaging producer and author of ‘How to Get Into Radio’ and James Cridland, founder of Media UK.
To register or contact University Centre Hastings about the masterclass, please click here.